Electric Heat Causes New Years Eve Fire in Weymouth
An elderly home caught fire after Weymouth firefighters said bedding material came into contact with electric heating.
The Weymouth Fire Department believes an electric heating device may have caused a blaze at a Weymouth Elderly Housing Unit that left several temporarily homeless.
Weymouth Fire Deputy Chief Jonathan Tose said the fire started at 4:15 a.m. at the Weymouth Housing Authority’s elderly housing unit on 29 Calnan Circle after bedding material came into contact with electric heating. The flames damaged four units. Tose said one had substantial damage; the other three had smoke and fire damage.
The fire, which took Weymouth Firefighters three hours to extinguish, forced residents from all 12 units to evacuate where they were then transferred to a nearby recreation center.
No one was injured in the blaze.